I am one of those sad people who always wants to dress their cats up for Halloween and then can never get them to actually sit still long enough to even put it on. This year I came up with something so foolproof, they don't even know their wearing it. Bow Ties!
We have a running joke that the cats are our lawyers. Schroedinger and Fezzik are partners in Fat Cat and Lumpstein LLP. So it was decided that they would be their lawyer alto egos for Halloween this year.
You too can horribly humiliate your cats for all of your friends and neighbors to see and make your cats little bow ties too.
How To Make Your Cat A Bow Tie
A small bit of fabric
Sewing machine (optional)
Your cat's collar
1. Print out the pattern. Use it to cut two pieces for the bow and one piece for the band.
2. Sew the two squares of the bow together with right sides facing, leaving a 1/2" opening to turn right side out and back stitching up to the opening. (FYI, this pattern has a 3/8" seam allowance.)
3. Fold the band piece in half, length-wise with right sides facing, leaving a 1/2" opening to turn right side out and back stitching up to the opening.
4. Clip the corners.
5. Turn right side out; use a chopstick to poke the corners out. Press the seams flat.
6. Sew the openings closed, use a ladder stitch so your stitches won't show.
7. Fold the band in half again and sew the short ends together, sewing close to the edge of the fabric (1/8" seam allowance) and back stitch to lock it in place.
8. Turn the band right side out again so that the sewn edges face inside the circle. Fold the bow like an accordion and slip it through the band.
9. Tack the bow to the band.
10. Slip the cat's collar through the band, behind the bow.
Optional Step: Buttonhole!
As you can see, I wanted the cat's tags to hang down centered underneath the bow ties. It requires a buttonhole. Make sure that the buttonhole is large enough to fit the ring the tags attach to.
Before Step 7, put a buttonhole in the middle of band. Then arrange it all on the collar (tags taken off and reapplied through the button hole, bow folded and placed over the collar and the band wrapped around the whole shebang) and sew the band in place by hand.
11. Put it on the cat!